Message From the General Chair:
On behalf of the organizing committee, I warmly welcome you to join us in the 2011 International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks, which will be held in Hong Kong, a vibrant city where West meets East, modern blends with tradition.
The Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN) is the premier international conference for presenting the very best research results, problem solutions, and insight on new challenges facing the field of dependability and security. These challenges have always been significant in the IT-permeated modern society, and meeting them is essential to economic prosperity, global stability, and societal/personal safety. DSN has pioneered the fusion between security and dependability, addressing the need to simultaneously fight against cyber attacks, accidental faults, design errors, and unexpected operating conditions. This conference has been held annually since 1971 (the original conference name is IEEE International Symposium on Fault Tolerant Computing). Over the past 40 years, DSN has developed into the flagship conference in the systems research area, specializing in both dependability and security issues and solutions. The 41st DSN, to be held during June 27-30, 2011, will feature a rich program to host plenary talks, regular papers, experience reports, panels, student forums, fast abstracts, poster presentations, and debate sessions. Here are a few highlights of the program:
- Six parallel tracks in the Workshop Day, followed by three parallel tracks in the Main Conference.
- Two excellent keynote speakers, including a bank Senior VP and Chief Information Officer, and a US National Academy of Engineering member.
- 52 accepted papers in the highly acclaimed DCCS and PDS symposia, selected from over 250 submissions with rigorous paper review.
- Seven exciting workshops, covering from hardware to software areas, from nanocomputing to mobile applications to cloud computing, and from security to hot dependability issues. Each workshop employs its own thorough review process for quality assurance.
- A new poster session track which will host an evening poster reception for interactive technical exchanges and lively social interactions.
- Student forums to encourage student ownership, contribution, and participation, shaping up professional and societal leaders of tomorrow.
- A Fast Abstracts session for quick dissemination of pertinent results and stimulation of innovative ideas.
- A panel session for discussion and debate in current topics of high interest to the dependability community.
Hong Kong is one of the world's most popular tourist destinations. It is a world-class modern city with enriched ancient tradition and diversified cultural heritage. In addition to the technical and social program we prepare for you at DSN 2011, you can also take your time to explore this Pearl of Orient and discover its character, charm, and dynamism. In the bright and vibrant summer season, you will enjoy a number of festive events and colorful entertainments. Once again, I sincerely invite you to come to DSN2011 to celebrate our 40 years of pursuit for excellence, and make this event an unforgettable Hong Kong experience of yours!
Michael R. Lyu, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, DSN 2011 General Chairman